Friday, April 6, 2012

SPRING BREAK: Feeding the Multitudes

Tonight I lie awake, exhausted, my mind racing. I am in a new world, a wonderful, crazy, frustrating new world where my life shifts from four children to SEVEN. If I can tell you anything it is that mealtime with seven kids has much to be desired. I am learning something new each time we eat. Things I have learned so far this week….

·         A big table and nine chairs are a MUST HAVE if we are to ever gain control over the chaos.

·         Do not serve pancakes as they come off the griddle. Next time I will call them all to eat AFTER I’ve made at least FORTY.

·         Seven children will never ALL like the same meal, unless it is pizza.

·         If you cut the pizza into smaller pieces they think they are eating more than they really are.

·         If you make grilled cheese sandwiches you will be on your feet for at least 45 minutes. (Unless you run out of cheese and bread faster than that.)

·         Cold cereal is a necessity and needs a budget all of its own.

·         Structured snacks are a MUST or the grazing will never stop.

·         Two ovens would be helpful.

·         I need larger griddles. (Mom and Dad…I may steal yours, watch out!)

·         People who do this every day are AMAZING.

·         I have never thought about meals so much in my life. (Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks…new day…start all over. Breakfast, lunch, dinner…)

·         Teenagers CAN be taught how to make tomato soup. (Open can…add water…stir….good job!)

·         I am completely and utterly grateful for PAPER PLATES.

·         Life without a dishwasher would be slavery.


I find myself often thinking of my Grandma Bonnie and what it must have taken to raise 10 kids. I cannot wait until I can talk to her someday about what that was like. (Especially mealtime!) I can’t imagine making all the loaves of bread that it would take to feed that many kids. The work must have been never ending. I wonder how she had enough patience, and how she found enough time to give everyone what they needed. I wonder if she ever felt inadequate, overwhelmed, and underappreciated. I wonder if she ever wanted to walk out the door and come back after everyone was asleep. Someday I’ll ask her all these things and have my questions answered! Meanwhile I’ll keep doing the best I can, and learning something new with every meal we have. I’ll work on getting more chairs and more patience. And I’ll keep appreciating paper plates, water bottles, and my dishwasher.

No comments:

Post a Comment